Before you register for a course and begin your coursework, please read over this entire page to ensure your understanding of the process and various components.
The EFDA Orthodontics Course includes:
- Clinical Course Prework
- Online Modules comprised of presentation, text, photos, illustrations and videos
- Online practice quizzes
- Skills Standards (grade sheets)
- Clinical Course and Competency Testing
This is a self‐instruction module that you must complete before attending the Orthodontics Clinical Lab. The goal of this exercise is to help you get comfortable with pliers, wire and making actual bends. If you do not have access to the supplies needed, you may purchase a kit from the MDA. The kit includes #139 Birdbeak pliers, #16 Distal End Cutter and 14” Straight/.018” Round stainless wire.
You are required to progress through each Module as least once before the clinical course. However, you may review each Module as many times as you wish so that you are confident about performing the skills in the clinical course, where you will be graded for competency. Think of these Modules as your guidebook for the course. Additionally, Modern Dental Assisting is the official textbook recommended by the MDA EFDA Program for all Courses offered.
There are two pre-clinical modules:
- Course Overview (Supervision & Delegation)
- Infection Control & Patient Positioning
There are five clinical modules:
- Module 1: Impression Taking for Orthodontics
- Module 2: Placement and Cementation of Orthodontic Brackets and Bands
- Module 3: Minor Palliative Care of Orthodontic Emergencies
- Module 4: Preliminary Bending of Archwires
- Module 5: Removal of Orthodontic Bands and Bonds
Modern Dental Assisting is the official textbook recommended by the MDA EFDA Program for all Courses offered. Assistants should own a personal copy or have a dental office copy they can access for additional information related to topics discussed and procedures shown. Where applicable throughout the curriculum, the Modern Dental Assisting reference will be noted. Click to purchase Modern Dental Assisting from the MDA at a reduced price.